Opportunities and Accessibility
During the community dialogues, as well as in the surveys, participants were asked to share their experiences with the arts and culture scene in Dubuque. Quantitative data in this category was difficult to obtain as there is not readily available data regarding equity and inclusion in arts and culture.
FROM THE SURVEY:
- Overall, 80.4% of survey respondents agreed that there are events/opportunities that celebrate the cultural traditions represented in the community.
- 72.4% agreed that there are opportunities to learn about the traditions of cultures different than their own.
- 65.2% of respondents agreed that the Dubuque community offers affordable art events.
- 72.9% agreed that their cultural traditions and celebrations are accepted in the community.
FROM THE DIALOGUES:
- The opportunity to learn about different cultures is limited other than at resources like the library, the Multicultural Family Center and colleges.
- There is a lack of diversity in the audiences/crowds at many art events in Dubuque.
- The art culture in Dubuque reflects on specific demographic; there is not diversity in the types of events offered.
- The Multicultural Family Center offers a lot of cultural learning opportunities, but outside of that organization there are few opportunities to learn about different cultures.